How to Make a Weighted Blanket
This is an easy, DIY sewing project that you can complete in a couple of hours or less.
Please remember, it is not recommended to use weighted blankets for children under 3 years of age or for people with limited motor skills, mental or physical capabilities.
Here's What You Will Need to Make a Weighted Blanket:
- RolyPoly Pellets - 1 to 1.5 pounds of pellets per 10 pounds of body weight
- Fabric (as determined below – add 1” to each dimension)
- Measuring Tape
- Small Food Scale or Postal Scale
- Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine
1) Determine the Size & Weight of the blanket you are going to make.
Most experts recommend a weighted blanket that is equal to approximately 10% - 15% of the bodyweight of the user. The size of the blanket should be wide & long enough to cover the entire body. Weighted blankets are not meant to hang over the sides of a bed so keep that in mind.
2) After you’ve determined the size of weighted blanket you want to make, cut 2 pieces of fabric in equal size with 1 additional inch added to the size you have determined. If you are making a 36” x 48” blanket, you need 2 pieces of fabric measuring 37” x 49”.
3) Place the fabric right sides together and sew a double stitched plain seam around 2 of the longest sides and on the bottom approximately .5 inch from the edge. The top will remain open.
4) Turn the blanket inside out and iron the edges if desired. Using fabric chalk, a fabric marker or straight pins, mark equal vertical lines down the length of the fabric. Each channel should be approximately 4-6” wide. In the case of a 36” x 48” weighted blanket, you could for example create 7 columns that are 4.5" wide each (36"/4.5" = 7 columns) Sew a single seam along each line creating equal size channels across the blanket.
5) Using fabric chalk or a fabric marker, start from the bottom to mark equal horizontal lines across the width of the blanket. Each horizontal channel should be 4-6” wide as well.
6) Calculate the total number of squares that your weighted blanket will have: # of Rows X # of Columns
7) Calculate the weight of RolyPoly craft pellets you need to add to each square. Blanket weight you selected in ounces/number of squares you have on your blanket= number of ounces per square. Remember that 16 US oz. = 1 lb. If you are making a 10 lb (160 ounces) blanket and have 42 squares to fill, you will divide 160/42.In this case, this equals 3.8 ounces per square.
8) Fill & mark a measuring cup or plastic cup with the amount of RolyPoly plastic pellets that you need to fill a single square in your weighted blanket.
9) Using your marked cup, pour equal amounts of RolyPoly pellets into each column or channel of the blanket. Shake the pellets so that they settle at the bottom of the blanket.
10) Sew your first horizontal seam sealing in the pellets into individual squares. Begin filling the next row with RolyPoly poly beads.
11) Repeat steps 9 & 10 until the last row on the blanket is filled.
12) Fold over fabric and sew a double seam to seal and finish.
Enjoy your custom weighted blanket! We know you will love it!